Upgrade it to increase its strength and firewall."
Black ICE is an offensive Security Node. During the Brute Force phase of an attack, it charges up when a node connected to it is captured, then fires a blast similar to that of the Blaster program dealing a large amount of damage to the captured node.
Black ICE nodes will target captured nodes connected to it and will attack one node at a time. However, if Black ICE is connected to multiple captured nodes and its original target becomes secured by the network, it will switch to another compromised node according to Attack Priorities without losing charge time. Charge time is reset once all nodes connected to a Black ICE are secure.
The maximum level a Black ICE can be upgraded to is 21. The maximum number of Black ICEs you can have on your network is four. Unlike Business Nodes, there are no restrictions on deleting Black ICE nodes from the network.
|Level 1||Levels 2-3||Levels 4-5|
|Levels 6-7||Levels 8-9||Levels 10-12|
|Levels 13-15||Levels 16-18||Levels 19-21|
- Strength above and ingame is listed as damage per second.
- Black ICE takes 3.5 seconds to charge each attack and projectiles take 3 seconds to reach the target. This means a node defended solely by Black ICE(s) with no antivirus installed can safely install a Protector without any supporting programs, such as Shocker or ICE Wall.
- Black ICE starts in a secured state. (Black Node, but no antivirus installed). A Sentry connected to Black ICE will install an antivirus after 0.5 seconds, similar to a Turret.
- When defending, position Black ICE in a way that the attacker cannot effectively use the 5 program slots it permits on capture.
- A Black ICE with an antivirus installed will attack with both its blaster-like and antivirus attack, significantly increasing damage output.
- Black ICE works well when attacking a captured node that has an ICE Wall or a Protector installed.
- Black ICE has a high amount of firewall and a higher attack priority compared to a Turret of the same level, allowing it to soak up damage while both a Black ICE and Turret recapture a node. It is also good in combination with Guardian node, as the increased protection allows it more time to deal damage to defensive programs like ICE Wall or Protector.
- At lower levels this node is not very effective; it is recommended that one upgrades it in order for it to be useful.
ICE stands for Intrusion Countermeasures Electronics. This term was first introduced by science-fiction writer William Gibson to refer to a piece of computer software that protect systems from external attacks.
A program called BlackICE PC Protection has existed; however IBM discontinued it in 2007.
|Hackers Wikia - Nodes List|